Situated on a ridge between Avalon and Bilgola Beach, the original red brick and tile cottage has been transformed into a spacious contemporary residence that takes advantage of solar aspects and spectacular views north and south along the coast.
Particular attention was given to the buildings performance under extreme weather conditions due to the exposed location. Both structural integrity and careful detailing with non corrosive weathered zinc and other low maintenance materials were fundamental requirements from the start.Green design features adopted include:
- passive solar heat gain in winter
- shading and good cross ventilation in summer
- hydronic (water) space heating
- controlled lighting using ‘Dynalite’ system
- solar hot water
- rainwater tank under deck